Key takeaways of the article:
- When choosing a name for an eSport team, it’s important to consider the team’s branding, target audience, and mission, as well as the legal availability of the name.
- A memorable, relevant, and original team name can be powerful in helping the team build a loyal following and establish a strong brand identity.
- To avoid common mistakes, it’s important to choose a unique and original team name while considering the team’s target audience and ensure that the name is easy to pronounce and remember.
- To avoid legal issues, it’s important to do thorough research and ensure that the team name is not already protected by someone else’s trademark.
Choosing a name for an eSports team is an important task that requires careful consideration and brainstorming. The name you choose will represent the team and serve as the foundation of its branding and identity.
When coming up with a creative eSports team name, there are a number of factors to consider. This includes the following:
- The team’s branding: The team name should align with the team’s overall branding and image. This includes the team’s logo, colors, and other visual elements.
- The team’s target audience: The team name should appeal to the team’s target audience. For example, if the team is targeting a younger demographic, a more playful or edgy name might be appropriate.
- The team’s mission: The team name should reflect the team’s mission or values. For example, if the team is focused on promoting a particular cause or raising awareness about an issue, the name could be chosen to reflect this focus.
- Availability: It’s important to ensure that the team name is legally available to use. This includes checking to see if the name is already protected by someone else’s trademark.
- Memorability: The team name should be memorable and easy to pronounce. This will make it easier for fans to remember it and for the team to build a loyal following.
- Relevance: The team name should be relevant to the team and the esport in which it competes. For example, a team name that references a particular game or theme within the esport might be more effective than a name that is unrelated.
- Originality: While it’s important to consider the factors above, it’s also important to be original and think outside the box. A unique team name can help the team stand out and may be more memorable to fans.
Below we have listed 40 ideas for esport team names, separated into four different categories. You can use these as inspiration when creating your own or straight-up use it as it is. However, it’s important to do your due diligence first to ensure that no one else is already using one of these names.
Cool Esport Team Names
- Neon Knights
- Pixel Pandas
- Galactic Goliaths
- Frosty Furies
- Electric Eagles
- Thundering Titans
- Cosmic Crusaders
- Crimson Coyotes
- Aurora Avengers
- Mystic Mavericks
Good Esport Team Names
- Efficient Esports
- Skillful Squad
- Serene Gaming
- Sissy Squad
- Luminous Gaming
- Masterful Team
- Shark Attack
- Graceful Gaming
- Talented Tricksters
- Effective Esports
Powerful Esport Team Names
- Imperium Esports
- Dominus Gaming
- Legion of Legends
- Victory Vanguard
- Elite Esports Club
- Invincible Icemen
- Overlord Gaming
- Dominion Esports
- Majestic Esports
- Excellence Gaming
Pro Player Esport Team Names
- Pro Players United
- Elite Gaming Squad
- Champions Club
- Professional Players Association
- Pro Gamer Alliance
- Master Gamers Society
- Pro Gaming Team
- Expert Esports Club
- High-Level Gaming Team
- Top Tier Gamers
On top of that, you can also use some of the best, already established esport team names as inspiration when crafting your own.
- Eternal Champions
- Invictus Gaming
- Team SoloMid
- Team Liquid
- G2 Esports
- SK Telecom T1
- Evil Geniuses
You may also want to read: The Many Ways Esports Teams and Players Can Earn a Living: An Overview
5 Mistakes To Avoid When Choosing an Esport Team Name
When it comes to choosing an esport team name, it’s important to avoid mistakes that could hinder the team’s success. Here are five common mistakes to avoid when selecting a team name:
- Choosing a name that is too similar to another team’s name: While it may seem like a good idea to choose a name that is similar to a successful team’s name, this can lead to confusion and may even result in legal issues. It’s important to choose a unique and original team name to avoid any potential problems.
- Ignoring legal considerations: Before settling on a team name, it’s important to ensure that the name is legally available to use. This includes checking to see if the name is already protected by someone else’s trademark. Failing to do this could result in legal issues down the line.
- Choosing a name that is difficult to pronounce or remember: A team name that is difficult to pronounce or remember may be less effective at building a loyal following. It’s important to choose a team name that is easy to say and remember so that fans can easily share it with others and the team can build a strong brand identity.
- Not considering the team’s target audience: The team name should appeal to the team’s target audience. Failing to consider who the team is trying to reach out to can result in a name that doesn’t resonate with the team’s intended audience.
- Not thinking outside the box: It’s important to be original and think outside the box as else your team name may be easily forgotten. A team name should be unique and something that sticks in your head after hearing it. Don’t be afraid to be creative and consider a wide range of options when brainstorming team names.
By avoiding these common mistakes, you can help ensure that your esport team has a strong and effective name that helps build a loyal following and sets the team up for success.
Balancing Creativity With Legal Considerations
While it’s important to have a creative and memorable name for your esports team, it’s also crucial to ensure that the name you choose is legally available to use. This segment discusses trademarks which are the legal consideration that you must be aware of when choosing an esport team name.
Understanding Trademark and Copyright Law
A trademark is a type of intellectual property that protects brand names, logos, and other identifying features. Copyright, on the other hand, protects original works of artistic or literary expression. An esports team name cannot be copyrighted, only trademarked. Thus, in order to avoid legal issues, it’s important to make sure that the team name you choose is not already protected by someone else’s trademark.
Avoiding Trademark Infringement
To avoid infringing on someone else’s intellectual property rights, you have to thoroughly research the esport team names you come up with. This includes conducting a trademark search to see if the name you’re considering is already in use. It’s also a good idea to steer clear of names that are too similar to existing trademarks, as this could lead to legal issues down the line. Especially if these are trademarks of big and successful companies.
Conducting a Trademark Search
By conducting a trademark search you make sure that the team name you’re considering is available to use. There are several resources you can use for conducting a trademark search, including the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) database and private trademark search services. It’s important to do a thorough search to ensure that you’re not infringing on someone else’s intellectual property rights.
Securing a Trademark for Your Esport Team Name
Once you’ve found an esport team name that you love and is available to use, you may want to secure a trademark yourself to protect your brand. To obtain a trademark, you’ll need to file an application with the USPTO or a similar government agency in your country. The process can be complex, so it may be a good idea to work with a lawyer to ensure that your application is properly prepared and filed.
Working With a Lawyer To Protect Your Team Name
While it’s possible to file a trademark application on your own, working with a lawyer can help ensure that the process goes smoothly and that your intellectual property is properly protected. A lawyer can advise you on the best way to choose and secure a trademark for your esport team name, as well as help you navigate any legal issues that may arise.
Dealing With Trademark Disputes
Despite your best efforts, it’s possible that someone may challenge the name of your esport team, alleging that it infringes on their intellectual property rights. If this happens, you may need to defend your use of the name in court. Working with a lawyer can be especially helpful in this situation, as they can help you navigate the legal process and defend your rights.